Saturday, July 3, 2010

un, deux, trois

My language skills are slowly getting better, thanks to my extremely kind and patient tutor Sokan. I'm not about to discuss Buddhist philosophy in Khmer, but I can direct a tuk-tuk or mototaxi driver. How to count to ten in Khmer:
1 - mouy (moo-ee)
2 - bpee
3 - buy
4 - boon
5 - pram
6 - pram mouy
7 - pram bpee
8 - pram buy
9 - pram boon
10 - dop
Not too difficult, right? Well it gets more complicated, but instead of getting into that, here is Angelina Jolie's tattoo of a Buddhist incantation written in Khmer in honor of her adopted son Maddox:

It translates to: "May your enemies run far away from you./ If you acquire riches, may they remain yours always./ Your beauty will be that of Apsara./ Wherever you may go, many will atend, serve and protect you, surrouding you on all sides." Don't worry, Ma, I'm not planning to get a tattoo in Bangkok!

No comments:

Post a Comment