Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Cambodian music lesson

In the picture above, landmine survivors play the tro, a Cambodian traditional instrument similar to the violin, near a temple to raise money.  This blog tells the story of these musicians.  

I looked around Russian Market, a main tourist market here, for souvenirs and gifts yesterday, and amidst the hand-painted teapots, Apsara keychains, and Angkor beer t-shirts, I saw a few traditional instruments, including the tro.  I saw two different types of tro: one with a wood and snakeskin base and one with a coconut shell and leather base.  Two small strings run from the base to the top.  The sound changes depending on the type of base, the movement of your fingers, and the way you stretch the bow across the string.  The vendor showed me how to play, but somehow when I tried, it sounded like a cat dying.  

3 comments:

  1. okay...just the fact that you wrote that for your last sentence made me laugh. Can't wait to see you! Did you ever get my email?
    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I totally know what you mean. Went to Russian Market just today and fell in with a group there. Haven't tried playing it yet though. I want to buy one. I wish I knew the Khmer name for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I am a second generation Cambodian trying to get a hold of Khmer Tro. I was wondering if you can possible help. Please reply thanks. sopannah@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete